Monday 27 March 2017

20 th March to 24 th March 2017 Staying Local Barn Owls, Jack Snipe and Treecreeper


Groombridge and Churlwood
Having clocked up thousands of miles pursuing my 2017 List, it was rather embarrassing to discover that I had neglected my local responsibilities.  I had not been to Groombridge with Sue, Anne and Chris since November of last year and my Churlwood patch on the Ashdown Forest hadn't seen me since December.
  • Not to worry though, there was nothing out of the ordinary at Groombridge and Churlwood wasn't much different - although I did manage to see a Treecreeper and several lovely, singing Chiffchaffs there.




Weirwood Reservoir
  • At Weirwood Reservoir, we have been preparing for the 2017 snake surveys with well over 70 sheets being readied.  So far we have not seen any snakes but we have had good numbers of mice and voles as well as a few toads.  
  • On the birding front, we disturbed a pair of Barn Owls on Whillet's while we were checking our snake sheets. 
  • Snipe, Chiffchaffs, Egyptian Geese and a flyover Raven were the other highlights.  
  • I wasn't around to catch up with the Osprey that visited later on in the week.



West Rise Marshes near Eastbourne

  • I was keen to add Jack Snipe to my year list so I visited West Rise Marshes several times. Eventually, after getting good info from Paul and at my 4th attempt, I successfully flushed one near the "hide".  
  • Every sighting I have ever made of this bird has resulted from it being flushed by me so I have never really been able to get a good look at close quarters.  Top of my priorities is to see a Jack Snipe from a hide, like at Strumpshaw Fen, so I can see the smaller beak and the "bobbing" action so characteristic of this species. 


RSPB Broadwater Warren

  • I was also actively looking for Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers but 2 visits to RSPB Broadwater Warren drew a blank. This despite me having inside information on the best viewing point. Only the previous week there had been at least 2 reported sightings.

Lots of effort but only a modest return!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.