Sunday 5 March 2017

04/03/2017 New Forest Goshawk and Tawny Owl

Saturday 4 March 2017
New Forest, Hampshire

When Paul called off the scheduled visit to the New Forest I decided to make the trip on my own.  The prospect of seeing my first Goshawk of the year was just too tempting.  The weather conditions were favourable, as forecast, with sunny skies early on but with showers to follow in the afternoon.

I didn't even get to the normal viewing point at Acres Down, before I saw the Goshawk.  As I was making my way along the path, among a group of 26+ birders from the New Forest RSPB Group, a Goshawk was seen flying over the pine trees behind us and just to the right of the car park.  We then had a good 15 minutes or so watching a stunning display as the bird circled and went through it's routine.  Main target achieved!   I can't wait to see some in Sussex in the next couple of weeks or so.

Next stop was to Blashford Lakes and to the South Hide, on Ivy Lake, in particular, to look for the Tawny Owl that was known to be roosting there.  Although I had very precise instructions, from the Hampshire Bird News site as to the owl's whereabouts, they were not needed as a birder was already watching it and allowed me to view it through his telescope.  It was so very well camouflaged that subsequent visitors were unaware of its presence until I pointed it out and let them view it through my scope.  

It was barely midday and I had seen both my target birds so I spent the rest of the time leisurely walking around the reserve taking in the passerines and the water birds until the heavy showers arrived early in the aftrenoon.  I had a bonus when I saw a Yellow-legged Gull perched on a post, in the water, close to the Goosander Hide on Ibsley Water - my first this year.

It was nice to see the Goosanders, Pintails, Siskins, a Brambling, Goldeneyes,  a couple of Grey Wagtails and Long-tailed Tits.  

More importantly, it was good to be back out birding again after a very busy period for me and my family.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.