Friday 23 January 2015

23/01/2015 A chance to go to Norfolk for the day. Wow!

Friday 23/01/2015
Norfolk

Family business called for someone to go to Norfolk for the day and being the sort of guy I am I volunteered!  I set off early and came back late!  My family duties were not carried out very well but the bird watching was awesome, if somewhat hurried!



Hunstanton
  • Having read about Waxwings showing well in Hunstanton, I was up early and in the area by 10.45.  A few minutes after arriving, I saw a couple of them at the top of a small bush in the coach car park opposite Tesco's in Southend Road.  In fact there were 4 birds with the other 2 on the ground.  They were less than 10 metres away from me and only a few feet from another birder with a camera who, alas, didn't see them.  The views were stunning!

I talked to the other 2 birders and they said the birds arrived at the same time as me - they had been there over an hour without seeing them.  How lucky can you get?



Titchwell
  • Next stop was Titchwell where I saw one of the Water Pipits and one of the Rock Pipits in the pools to the west of the main path leading from the reception to the seafront.  Being short of time I didn't go any further, having been told that the pools outside the main hides were frozen over and activity by the sea was quiet.



Thornham
  • I made a flying visit to Thornham, hoping to see the Twites that had recently been seen there.  Unfortunately none showed  but I compensated by seeing my first Ringed Plover, Spotted Redshank and Skylark of 2015.



Stubb's Mill on Hickling Broad
  • Having concluded my family business I just had enough time to get to Hickling Broad where my target species was the Crane.  Fortunately 2 of them were showing in the distance as I arrived.  A little later they took to the air, much to everyone's pleasure, and flew towards us before landing and performing  an elegant  dance routine which included jumping up in the air like a ballerina..  A little later still they flew away,  affording us superb views.  Earlier, on my way down to the viewing point I had seen 2 other Cranes flying over.

  • On the approach to the viewing area I saw a couple of Egyptian Geese, my first of the year.

  • It would have been embarrassing to come away from Norfolk without having seen Pink-footed Geese.   Thankfully a skein of 50 or so flew overhead as we were watching the Cranes.

  • At the end, we heard a Tawny Owl and then one guy got distant scope views which he shared with the rest of us.  What a lovely end to a lovely day.


 
 Arrived home at 9.30 p.m. - ELATED!
 
 
 
Additions to BUBO 2015 UK Bird List:
Waxwing   (115)
Water Pipit   (116)
Rock Pipit   (117)
Spotted Redshank   (118)
Ringed Plover   (119)
Skylark   (120)
Egyptian Goose   (121)
Crane   (122)
Tawny Owl   (123)
Pink-footed Goose   (124)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.