Saturday 10 January 2015

09/01/2015 Lesser Yellowlegs at Pett Level

Friday 9th January 2015

East Sussex:  Pett Levels
The Lesser Yellowlegs at Pett Levels was my primary target species this morning as I set off just after first light.  When I got there I could not see it among the birds on show but after a while Neil, a well known Sussex birder, drew my attention to a bird asleep in front of some vegetation just off to the left.  In the scope it had all the attributes but I wanted to see it'd head and beak.  Soon the bird obliged and I was able to confirm my first Lesser Yellowlegs sighting in Sussex; last year my first ever sighting was at Lepe Country Park in Hampshire. 


Lesser Yellowlegs
Library picture


A lovely Ruff, one of several, was also showing well.  On the beach a dozen or so Brent Geese added to the attraction.


Kent: Dungeness
Next stop was Dungeness to look for the drake Smew that had turned up a few days ago.  I caught up with it on Burrowes when it  was showing very well, over the water directly in front of me.  Incredibly it then flew nearer and landed 30 metres or so away, to give a very special occasion.  This has to be one of the best looking birds at this time of year. 

Drake Smew
Library picture

Earlier, at the ARC Hanson Hide, I was greeted by a friendly Kingfisher from the trees overhanging the water to my right.  Soon after I saw the male and female Goldeneye, a Great White Egret, my first Green Woodpecker of the year and a Ruddy Duck

On the way home I visited Walland Marsh to see the Bewick Swans and the Whooper Swan but I did not see any Bean Geese.  On the way I was lucky to see my first Tree Sparrows of the year and soon after I came across a flock of 30 or so Fiedfares.



A lovely day out with some very scarce birds added to my 2015 UK Bird List which now totals a very respectful 80.




Today's Species List:
Mute Swan
Bewick Swan
Whooper Swan
Greylag Goose
Barnacle Goose
Brent Goose
Ruddy Duck
Shelduck
Wigeon
Gadwall   (10)
Mallard
Shoveler
Teal
Pochard
Scaup
Tufted Duck
Goldeneye
Smew
Black-necked Grebe
Cormorant   (20)
Little Egret
Grey Heron
Kestrel
Moorhen
Coot
Oystercatcher
Lapwing
Ruff
Turnstone
Curlew   (30)
Redshank
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Collared Dove
Woodpigeon
Kingfisher
Green Woodpecker
Pied Wagtail
Wren   (40)
Robin
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Magpie
Rook
Carrion Crow
Starling   (50)
House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Chaffinch



Additions to UK 2015 Bird List:
Brent Goose   (68)
Oystercatcher   (69)
Ruff   (70)
Redshank   (71)
Great Black-backed Gull   (72)
Lesser Yellowlegs   (73)
Goldeneye   (74)
Smew   (75)
Kingfisher   (76)
Green Woodpecker   (77)
Fieldfare   (78)
Tree Sparrow   (79)
Ruddy Duck   (80)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.