Monday 12 January 2015

12/01/2015 Ring-billed Gull but no Greater Yellowlegs

Monday 12th January 2015

Hampshire Twitch
  • I made the long journey to Titchwell Haven to check out the Greater Yellowlegs that had caused such a stir since it was first seen yesterday.  Weather conditions were not good ,with rain and low cloud.  Unfortunately, despite lots of birders looking for it, it did not show. 

  • Not to be put off I then switched to plan B and went into nearby Gosport to twitch the Ring-billed Gull at Walpole Park. Workmen were making alterations to the section of the park closest to the car park and "Waldo" was not among the few gulls present on the grass bank where we normally see it. He was, in fact, not far away, with the gulls in the harbour away from the noise of the contractors.  I also saw my first Lesser Black-backed Gull of the year some 10 metres from the "star" of this particular show.

West Sussex
  • A female Red-crested Pochard was reported on Chichester Gravel Pits yesterday so I called in on the way home to see if it was still there.  It was, on the Triangle Lake and I was able to get good views despite the inclement weather.  

  • My final stop of the day was at Widewater Lagoon at Shoreham where, despite the heavy rain, I saw 2 pairs of Red-breasted Mergansers, as expected, but no sign of the female Common Scoter that had been seen there lately.  As well as the other "usual suspects" I was pleasantly surprised to find a close, male Goosander with it's head tucked in.



Despite missing out on a lifer and being dogged by very poor weather it was a very good experience and I was able to add 5 species to my UK 2015 list.


Additions to 2015 UK Bird List:
Ring-billed Gull   (87)
Lesser Black-backed Gull   (88)
Red-crested Pochard   (89)
Red- breasted Merganser   (90)
Goosander   (91)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.