Tuesday 14 January 2014

14/01/2014. Six of the best at Rye Harbour and Dungeness

Tuesday 14th January 2014


Rye Harbour
I went back to Rye Harbour to seek out the birds I missed on Saturday when I left early to get to the Brighton v Birmingham game at the Amex Stadium.
  •  The Long-tailed Duck was present on the Long Pit again - thankfully.  It was bang in the middle of the water, showing well for a few seconds before diving.  It actually spent more time below the water than above it but it was splendid when it appeared on top.

Long-tailed Duck
Library picture only
Unfortunately there was no sign of the drake Scaup or the Goldeneye.  There were lots of other birds but they were the same as last Saturday so I have not repeated them here.


Dungeness
I called in at Scotney on the way to Dungeness to look for Tundra Bean Geese and White-fronted Geese but neither were there.
  •  From the ARC hide I immediately saw a Great White Egret, the first of three that I would see today.  It was over 100 metres away but with such good weather the lighting was excellent and the views were super.
Great White Egret
Library picture only
  • A beautiful female Smew showed well and a little later a second appeared.  So far no reports of any drakes have appeared but surely it's just a matter of time before one comes along.
Redhead Smew
Library picture only

  • On the nature reserve proper I was amazed to find no Tree Sparrows at the cottage or the feeders.  However on my way home I detoured to Walland Marsh where I found lots of them on the feeders of a well known property.  These are one of my favourite birds.
Tree SparrowLibrary picture only


  • I did see my first Marsh Harrier of 2014, early on, flying majestically over the marshes.

  • My final "scarcity" of the day was a magnificent male Goosander.  I saw it briefly from the hide as it swam close by.  It then flew back towards the reception giving us magnificent views as it passed the hide.  These birds are scarce in Sussex - I usually see them in Cumbria, on the River Derwent, when I visit family where they are more common.

Male Goosander
Library picture only



,A great day with lots to see.  Glorious weather with sunshine all the way.


Additions to 2014 UkK Bird List:-
Long-tailed Duck   (93)
Great White Egret   (108)
Smew   (109)
Marsh Harrier   (110)
Goosander   (111)
Tree Sparrow   (112)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.