Monday 6 January 2014

05/01/2014. Parrot Crossbills and a Grey Phalarope in an unusual place

Sunday 5th January 2014
Winter Thrush Survey am
Old Lodge pm
Hove Lagoon pm


.

Winter Thrush Survey at Wych Cross TQ 4033
I tried to go to Old Lodge to see the Parrot Crossbills before doing my survey but abandoned the idea when I saw that both car parks were jammed full with birders with similar intent.

My survey was thorough but there were very few birds around and no Redwings, Fieldfares or Mistle Thrushes.



Old Lodge pm

When I got back to Old Lodge just after noon I was able to park and then seek out the Crossbills.  With so many birders present I was able to find the viewing point very quickly.  

After a few minutes I was able to get brilliant views of both Parrot and Common Crossbills.  What a relief!  Lighting conditions were surprisingly good so the birds were seen at their best and boy did they look good.  After half an hour or so I had to leave to be home, as promised, for lunch with Sue.  


Parrot Crossbill
Library picture only






Parrot Crossbill
Library picture only

Hove Lagoon pm

During lunch I got a text message from Paul to say a Grey Phalarope had been seen at Hove Lagoon so I was off again this time towards Brighton and the south coast.  When I got there I could not see any activity at all on the lagoon, in either area.  I knew something wasn't right so I hung around for a minute or so before meeting a fellow birder who had the same problem.  Fortunately he had a smart phone and soon found out we should be looking for the paddling pool which was 50 metres to the east of us.

There it was, in a kidney shaped kid's paddling pool with the water barely 6 inches deep.  It was less than 5 metres away and even in the fading light we were able to get superb views.  I stayed a good while to savour the experience only leaving when it got dark.  


Grey Phalarope
Library picture only


This bird was probably brought in from the Atlantic by the strong south westerly winds and was seeking refuge and food before returning to the Atlantic.  What a contrast between a kid's paddling pool in a busy city and the depths of the Atlantic Ocean.  

What a great day- the complete opposite to yesterday.





Today's species count (with additions to UK 2014 Year List in brackets)
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Woodpigeon
Chaffinch
Great Tit
Carrion Crow
Pheasant
Mallard
Coal Tit    (51)
Common Crossbill   (52)
Parrot Crossbill   (53)
Grey Phalarope   (54)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.