Wednesday 8 January 2014

04/01/2014 Winter Thrush Survey and a silly missed opportunity at Ashdown Forest

Saturday 4th January 2014
Winter Thrush Survey am
Ashdown Forest pm


Winter Thrush Survey at Fletching TQ4224
It's the BTO Winter Thrush  survey time  (27th December 2013 to 10th January 2014).  This is the second of three squares I have agreed to survey.  I did  the one based on the Goat car park in the Ashdown Forest TQ4033 on 28th December.  Despite the dreadful weather with all the fields sodden I needed to do this today to allow me enough time for the third survey at Sheffield Park Gardens TQ4223 plus any revisits I may need to make.

There were plenty of Redwings feeding on the ground along with several Blackbirds and the odd Song Thrush.  I was struggling to find any Fieldfares but a good stroke of luck came my way and I managed to see a flock of 20+ flying overhead.  In the latter stages of my survey a shooting competition on nearby land spooked all the birds and in the panic I was able to pick out the fieldfares.  The only thrush not seen was the Mistle Thrush.

It was hard graft trudging through the muddy fields but thankfully i was able to complete the job.  I can imagine that some places elsewhere might be inaccessible due to the severe floods.


Ashdown Forest Calamity
While I was having lunch I noticed on the website that Parrot Crossbills had been seen at Old Lodge in the Ashdown Forest so I decided to call in and see them.  Unfortunately I had left it too late. The weather had deteriorated just as I arrived and although I disturbed a flock of birds  in a tree as I arrived  I could not be sure they were the Crossbills.  Shortly after the heavens opened up and I had to abandon ship.

When I got home I had an email from Paul asking if I had been to see the Crossbills yet.  They had been texting me all morning saying they were going to Old Lodge and texting me again and again as the birds appeared.  Unfortunately I don't carry my phone with me as a rule of thumb and so I missed the cues.  What an error - from now on me and my mobile are inseparable!  

To add insult to injury I found out later that a Peregrine Falcon had been seen at the Amex Stadium just before half time in the cup tie with Reading.  It entertained the crowd as it circled the ground and then perched to watch most of the second half from the stands.  I, of course, chose to miss the match and go birdwatching and missed this experience as well.  A bad day at the office!  

Today's species list with UK 2014 Bird List sightings in brackets:
Redwing  (43)
Song Thrush   (44)
Wren   (45)
Great Tit   (46)
Kestrel    (47)
Chaffinch    (48)
Greylag Goose    (49)
Goldfinch    (50)


I cannot believe that my 50th species this year was a Goldfinch - it should have been in the top 5.  Much of this is down to the weather and my wanderlust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.