Tuesday 7 January 2014

07/01/14. Winter Thrush Survey. Fletching South

Tuesday 7th January 2014
BTO Winter Thrush Survey 2014
Fletching South

This was my third and final BTO Winter Thrush survey of 2014.  I was delayed over an hour by the poor weather conditions.  Just as I arrived at Sheffield Park Gardens the heavens opened and it poured down.  Eventually the sun broke through and I was able to start the survey.  Conditions underfoot were already bad so this extra rain added to the discomfort.

It was rather quiet today with only a few Fieldfares and a couple of Redwings. Blackbirds led the count but there was no sign of any Mistle Thrush.

I managed to see my first Green Woodpecker of 2014 as I went round.  Another pleasant surprise was the lovely Chiffchaff which flew into a tree just ahead of me and displayed for a few minutes before moving on. 


Today's species list:
Chiffchaff   (58)
Redwing
Fieldfares
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Pheasant.  (59)
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw.  (61)
Rook.  (64)
Cormorant
Grey Heron.  (60)
Chiffchaff
Green Woodpecker (63)
Chaffinch.  (58)
Wood Pigeon
Robin
Jay.  (62)
Moorhen.   (65)
Wren
Pied Wagtail
Magpie
Pheasant
Kestrel
Buzzard


Species count = 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.