Monday 6 January 2014

06/01/2014 The King! A male Hen Harrier.

Monday 6th January 2014
Ashdown Forest pm
Weirwood Reservoir pm




Ashdown Forest

I desperately wanted to see a Hen Harrier, not having seen one since before New Year.  


  • The sun was shining as I arrived at 14.50 and straight away, before I could get to my usual viewing point, I caught sight of the exciting male showing in the skies above the trees to my left.   For the next 15 minutes or so I just sat back ( I had brought a chair) and enjoyed a most memorable, virtuoso flying display by this quite majestic bird.  It flew right down the valley, then back up before settling on the ground near to it's normal roost.  The flight varied from quite high swoops above the trees to fast, low dashes just above the ground.  These had to be the best views I have ever had of this amazing bird.

male Hen Harrier in flight
It doesn't get any better than this!

I waited for about 20 minutes after it went down and with clouds gathering I then decided to move on to more sheltered pastures. Superb!

Weirwood Reservoir

In fading light and gathering rain clouds I visited the hide at Weirwood Reservoir.  It had been quite some time since my last visit and, of course, the water level was at a near record high which meant I was unlikely to see any waders.

On the water I saw several Pochard and Tufted Ducks but, surprisingly, no Cormorants or Great-crested Grebes .  On the banks of the reservoir there were lots of Greylag Geese, a few Coots and a Canada Goose.  Along the water's edge there were plenty of Mallards.  In the distance there were lots of Gulls but it was too dark and they were too far away to make a positive ID. 

At the feeder there were only Blue Tits and Great Tits.  Most birds had gone to roost as it was getting late.

It was worth a visit even though I had left it rather late.





Today's species list (with three additions to UK 2014 Year List): 

Hen Harrier   (55)
Pochard   (56)
Tufted Duck   (57)
Mallard
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Coot 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.