Thursday 19 April 2018

19/04/2018 Seawatching at Splash Point.

Thursday 19th April 2018


Splash Point, Seaford
A very early start at Splash Point where Alastair and I joined a group of 10+ birders.  The wind direction was not favourable to a large movement of birds east along the English Channel but we had some success.
  • Pick of the sightings for me were the Skuas.  There were several sightings of  Arctic Skuas during our 2.5 hr visit.  We also saw a Bonxie, just before we left around 09.00.
  • I saw my first Common Terns and Arctic Terns of 2018.
  • 13 close Little Gulls was a nice sighting as were the 4 Mediterranean Gulls.

Being my first seawatch here this year, I was a bit rusty and took a while to get my eye in.  This meant I missed a Little Tern that flew by.

A reasonable first visit to Splash Point this year.                




Hindleap, Ashdown Forest
I arrived home from the seawatch around 10.00.  Sue wanted to try walking the dogs in the Ashdown Forest so off we went to Hindleap - binoculars in hand!  By now t he temperature was rising into the mid twenties.

  • I heard then saw several Tree Pipits.
  • There was also an abundance of  spring migrants, namely Blackcaps, Willow Warblers and  Chiffchaffs.

Dog walking and birding - great!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.