Friday 6 April 2018

06/04/2018 Hoopoe and Yellow Wagtails

Friday 6th April 2018
near Lydd, Kent

After such a good morning in the Ashdown Forest and then at Broadwater Warren, I thought my birding day was over - I was wrong!

After visiting family in Newhaven and taking the dogs out, news came through of a Hoopoe at Baynham Farm near Lydd.  With enough time on my hands, I made the long journey and was rewarded with a spectacular experience.
  • The Hoopoe was exactly where the reports said it would be and a mere 25 metres away from the road, which is just as well as I had forgotten to take my scope.  As always, the Hoopoe looked majestic and delighted both myself and the assembled photographers.

Hoopoe at Lydd
courtesy of Malcolm Freeman and Twitter


Being greedy, I decided to take in Scotney GP on my way home, hoping to see  any one of Black Redstart, Little Owl or Corn Bunting.  I saw none of these but my day was made with a truly surprising sighting.
  • There were 10+ Yellow Wagtails in the field running around among the cattle at Scotney Court Farm.  Again, no need for a scope - they were only 25 metres away.  I have never seen this species this early in. the year.  On the return leg, 30 minutes later, they were gone!  A clear case of right time, right place.

My best day for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.