Sunday 8 April 2018

08/04/2018 Savi's Warbler at West Rise Marsh

Sunday 8 April 2018
West Rise Marsh, Eastbourne, Sussex

Got a text from Alastair, just after lunch, about a Savi's Warbler at West Rise Marsh.  I was actually travelling to Arlington Reservoir at the time so quickly changed my plans and was there within 20 minutes.

  • When I got there the bird was not showing!  But it had been seen just 30 minutes earlier by Matt Eade and Kris.  After 30 minutes or so Jake Everett and I got our chance when it flew right for 30 metres or so, being pursued by a Cetti's Warbler.  
  • A  Little Gull provided a really good support act as it flew over the nearby water.
  • A screeching Water Rail in the background added to the sound effects and there were several Reed Buntings around.

The only down side to this sighting, my second UK "lifer" of 2018, was in the evening when I saw a tweet from Alastair saying that he had not seen the bird despite waiting over 4 hours for it to re-appear.  

Right time, right place again and with some very talented company! Thanks Alastair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.