Monday 2 April 2018

02/04/2018 Sandwich Terns at Rye Harbour NR in Sussex

Easter Monday, 02/04/18
Rye Harbour Nature Reserve
East Sussex

One of the staples on the birding calendar is a visit to Rye Harbour to see the returning Sandwich Terns.  I took my chances today and, despite a dodgy weather forecast, I managed to get in a good 2 hour session, spanning lunchtime.

  • On my way out to the Ternery Pool, I saw my first Wheatear of 2018 - a stunning male!  It landed on the ground before flying on to the fence.  What a bonus and it turned out to be the first of several.
  • The Sandwich Terns were showing well on the Ternery Pool with at least 10 resting on one of the islands just in front of me, some 30 metres away.  They looked absolutely fabulous, brightening up this very dull day.
  • Not far from them, on an adjacent island, were 5+ Mediterranean Gulls interspersed among the Black-headed Gulls.  They too looked resplendent with their brilliant red beak and black hood. 
  • A stunning drake Red-breasted Merganser was a joy to see.
  • The Avocets, of course, looked very elegant and sophisticated.



A short but excellent visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.