Monday 22 January 2018

21/01/2018 and 22/01/2018 West Sussex

Sunday 21 January 2018

With rain forecast all day today I decided to go looking for water birds!


Widewater Lagoon, Shoreham, West Sussex
  • First stop was Widewater Lagoon where I soon found the female Goosander.
  • I also managed to see my first Redshank of 2018.


Church Norton
At Church Norton the weather was even worse than at Widewater Lagoon.

Although I "dipped" on the Red-necked Grebe I did manage to add a few birds to my year list:-
  • I saw 10+ Bar-tailed Godwits in the distance.
  • A magnificent drake Red-breasted Merganser was my bird of the day.
  • A Curlew and loads of Grey Plovers and Oystercatchers were also seen.


Ferry Pool at Visitor's Centre
  • A lovely Spotted Redshank was showing well at the far end of the pool.
  • On the long walk back to the car park I saw a Gadwall.

Despite the very wet conditions I thoroughly enjoyed this trip!



Monday 22 January 2018
By contrast, Monday afternoon was dry and sunny with hardly any wind.  I couldn't resist a return visit to Church Norton.  This time I had more luck.
  • I saw a close Knot - barely 10m away!  My 100th bird in 2018!
  • One of the Peregrines was showing well from the usual island setting.
  • The Whimbrel was most obliging.
  • It looked as if I was going to dip out again with respect to the Red-necked Grebe but I managed to walk round to the spit and eventually locate the bird as it returned to its favourite spot near the white notice board.

Well worth the second look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.