Thursday 24 March 2016

24/03/2016 Cuckmere Haven and Seven Sisters

Thursday 24 March 2016
Cuckmere Haven and Seven Sisters

4 Spoonbills were seen in the Cuckmere valley yesterday so I decided to go and see if they were there today.  

My mind was also on finding a Wheatear so I decided to look on the Seven Sisters - weather permitting, since the forecast was for rain later in the day.


  • I had no luck with either of my target species.  



Best of the rest included:-

  • A single Greenshank, sheltering from the wind with the Redshanks.

  • A lovely close view of a Peregrine as I walked along the Seven Sisters looking for Wheatears.  It was on the ground, right on the edge of the cliff.  I was able to get within 40 metres before it flew away in a westerly direction.  On the return leg I found it on the next hilltop in almost identical conditions before it flew east, presumably back to it's original position.  

  • A pair of Stonechats on the eastern path leading back to the car park.

Today's species list:

Black-headed Gull
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Common Gull
Cormorant
Dunnock
Goldfinch
Great Black-backed Gull
Greater Canada Goose
Greenfinch
Greenshank
Grey Heron
Herring Gull
Jackdaw
Little Egret
Little Grebe
Magpie
Mallard
Meadow Pipit
Mute Swan
Oystercatcher
Peregrine
Redshank
Robin
Rook
Shelduck
Skylark
Song Thrush
Stonechat
Teal
Wigeon
Woodpigeon

(34)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.