Saturday 12 March 2016

12/03/2016 "Odds and Sods"

Not much to report lately!  

Groombridge  29/02/16
The only bird of any degree of interest above the normal was a Snipe.



Weir Wood Reservoir  08/03/16

  • Just missed out on a Tawny Owl which my colleagues saw as they carried out routine maintenance on the bird boxes. Unfortunately I was in a different area.  Another day perhaps!



  • We are all rather proud of our hedge laying.







Churlwood, Ashdown Forest
Following a tip off from our leader Sue, I got 2 excellent views of a Dartford Warbler on a section adjacent to my patch.  I now need to extend my coverage to include this good habitat.  A couple of Fieldfare provided a good side show.





New Forest, 11/03/16
1.  Mark   Ash Wood 
  • No luck with Lesser Spotted Woodpecker


2.  Acres Down

  • Hard work with Goshawk this year with only one seen.  
  • Wood Lark, Stonechat, Mistle Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Raven and Meadow Pipit provided a little consolation. 


3.  Piper's Waite

  • Just missed out on 4 Goshawks.
  • An excellent view of a single Hawfinch was, again, scant consolation.





Pett Level and Rye Harbour   12/03/16

  • No sign of the Glossy Ibis or the Ruffs at Pett Level



  • Lots of activity but all involving the regular birds with no unusual species around.



I spent the last 90 minutes at the Bittern viewing platform at Rye Harbour NNR

  • I was greeted by a superb view of a Barn Owl as I arrived with a return some 30 minutes later.



  • As the light faded the Marsh Harriers arrived in force and at one point I had 4 in the scope view.

  • Other birds of interest included Wren, Long-tailed Tit, Fieldfare and Cetti's Warbler (heard).

Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Year List
Goshawk   (153)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.