Thursday 28 January 2016

28/01/2016 No sign of Shrike at Ashdown Forest but success at Dungeness.

Thursday 28th January 2016

The first really good weather for days so I took the opportunity to go birding.


Ashdown Forest

  • Spent an hour around lunchtime looking for the Shrike near "Fiveways" on the Ashdown Forest but there was no sign of it at all.  Again I compensated by getting close views of a Dartford Warbler.




Dungeness

  • Dashed down to Dungeness for the afternoon session.  Dipped on the Black-necked Grebe on New Diggins south side, as reported on RBA so went after the Glaucous Gull by the fishing boats.  


  • I just missed it by the beach south of the lifeboat station but when I headed for the fishing boats I bumped into Plodding Birder who told me to try the roost a few hundred metres towards the lighthouse.


  • It was not difficult to find it - in a group of 3 birds that were detached from the main group. Excellent views as it enjoyed the late afternoon sunshine.

Glaucous Gull
Courtesy of Dungeness Bird  Observatory

  • Whilst I was admiring the bird, Paul Trodd (Plover) came by with his dog and I told him of my miss with the Black-necked Grebe.  He told me he had seen some 90 minutes earlier on the north side of New Diggings.  I relocated to the car park at Boulderwall and walked along the road and lo and behold the Grebe was still there and showing really well.  I couldn't find the second one from the limited viewpoint.


  • Plover also told me to try the viewing point to the left of Dennis's Hide for the Slavonian Grebe and, again, when I checked it was there at the far end of Burrowes and showing well.


  • I had to get back home so could not stay for the roost at the Screen Hide where I was hoping to see my first Bittern of 2016.  Another time perhaps.




What a super day - and 3 year ticks to boot!




Additions to BUBO 2016 UK Year List
Glaucous Gull   (125)
Black-necked Grebe   (126)
Slavonian Grebe    (127)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.