Saturday 9 January 2016

09/01 2016 Pagham Harbour, Amberley Castle and The Burgh Bewick Swans, a Red Kite and a lovely Yellowhammer

Saturday 9th January 2016
West Sussex 

Church Norton
Another early start saw me at Church Norton just before the high tide.  

I was expecting to find the Spoonbills that have been in the area but they did not show.  Nevertheless there were hundreds of birds to be seen - a wonderful wildlife experience.  Most were the usual suspects, Brent Geese, Shelduck, Wigeon, Teal etc.


    • On the island just west of the hide on the opposite bank, the two Peregines (m+f) were in their usual position.

    Ferry Pool and nearby area.
    When I relocated to the visitors centre I found loads of Black-tailed Godwits on the Ferry Pool along with the usual suspects.

    • I naively thought I could walk to the North wall but found the route too cumbersome and gave up but not before I spotted a superb male Yellowhammer in the bushes aligning the path.

    Amberley Castle
    One of my targets for the day was to locate the Bewick Swans (x6) and thankfully they were in the same place as last year.


    The Burgh, Arundel
    I saw my first Red Kite of the year just east of the triangle.  Also seen were several Grey Partridges  - of course!


    Widewater, Shoreham
    I called in at Shoreham on my way home to twitch the male Goosander that was in sedentary mode on the Widewater Lagoon.


    Additions to BUBO UK 2016 Year List:
    95    Peregrine
    96    Black-tailed Godwit
    97    Yellowhammer
    98    Bewick Swan
    99    Grey Partridge
    100   Red Kite
    101   Goosander




    What could be more deserving for my 100th sighting of 2016 - a wonderful Red Kite!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.