Monday 4 January 2016

04/01/2016 Great Northern Diver at Weir Wood

Monday 4th January 2016
Weir Wood Reservoir

With yet more poor weather forecast I decided to start early again - this time nearer home.  I decided to have another go at finding the Great Northern Diver at Weir Wood Reservoir.

As I arrived at the Boating Club car park at the dam end of the reservoir I was met by 2 ladies from America/Canada who told me the diver was showing in the distance close to the far banks.  Sure enough it was there albeit very briefly. 

To get a better view I relocated to the Southern Water car park and then walked along the north bank.  Unfortunately I could not find it again.  As a last resort, I returned to the  original place to find the Great Northern Diver showing well about 100 metres away from me and only 40 metres from the dam.  What a lucky break!


Great Northern Diver
Courtesy of Alastair Gray



While searching for the diver I managed to boost my year list by 7, the pick of which was a Green Woodpecker closely followed by at least 5 Jays and a flock of 25+ Fieldfare

As I arrived back home at lunchtime I was greeted by 4 Siskins on the feeder - the first there for years and another tick for my year list.



Making the most of the poor weather!




Additions to BUBO 2016 UK Year List:
61   Green Woodpecker
62   Fieldfare
63   Buzzard
64   Kestrel
65   Jay
66   Mistle Thrush
67   Great Northern Diver
68   Siskin


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.