Friday 17 January 2020

17/01/2020 Long-eared Owl at Elmley NNR, Kent

Friday 17 January 2020
Kent

Martin, Alan, Shaun and myself spent the afternoon at Elmley NNR on the Isle of Sheppey looking for owls.  The overnight rain had passed through and by the time we arrived it was dry and sunny but very windy.

  • Thankfully the long-eared owl was showing in the usual place and Martin was the first one to find it.  Occasionally the long "ears" showed.
courtesy of Martin Jeffree


  • We had no luck with short-eared owls both here and at the nearby site of Funton Creek.

  • There were at least 2 ravens around to add to the one Shaun and I saw on the Ashdown Forest yesterday while looking for goshawks.

  • Earlier in the week I heard, then saw, my first greenfinch of 2020 while I was walking the dogs.  At Weir Wood on Tuesday I also added nuthatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.