Thursday 2 January 2020

02/01/2020 Whipsnade Zoo for the Black-throated Thrush

Thursday 2 January 2020
Whipsnade Zoo, Bedfordshire

After walking the dogs this morning I had a chance to do some birding so I decided to twitch the black-throated thrush that has been at Whipsnade Zoo in Bedfordshire since 11 December 2019.

  • When I arrived at lunchtime I was amazed to find only 3 other birders there.  With a new year list just starting this rare bird should have attracted back all those who saw it in the past 3 weeks for a second look.

  • The bird was only 5-10 metres away in a tree laden with berries.  It kept popping out on to the outside to feed before disappearing into the central area again.

Credit: Anthony McGill
  • breeds in Siberian taiga, westward to the western slopes of the Urals
  • occasionally strays to western Europe, especially in late autumn and winter

  • There was also a redwing in the same tree.
  • On my way home I saw my first red kite of 2020, on the M40/M25 intersection.

Another quiet day but the thrush was a lifer for me and the other 2 birds weren't bad either!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.