Friday 3 January 2020

03/01/20 Redhead Smew and Long-tailed Duck

Friday 3 January 2020

Another enjoyable afternoon slot twitching in East Sussex and Kent!

  • First stop was Rye Harbour where I met up with the same redhead smew that I saw with the East Grinstead RSPB Group a few weeks ago.  This time it was somewhat further out.

  • With no time to waste, I moved on to Scotney Gravel Pits where I saw 2 of the 3 long-tailed ducks at the Sussex (west) end directly opposite me on the far side of the water. 

credit mikelink and twitter

 

  • Next stop was Tanners Pool at Dungeness RSPB reserve where I had my first setback of the day when the drake smew did not show.  By way of compensation I saw my first great white egret and my first marsh harrier of 2020.

  • On ARC from the Screen Hide and then from the Hanson Hide I could see no sign of any bitterns even though it was roost time.  Again by way of compensation I did pick up on my first goldeneye sightings of the year including a superb drake. 


A really good afternoon's birding - if somewhat rushed!  Not a huge 2020 bird list but one that oozes quality already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.