Sunday 5 January 2020

05/01/20 Rye Harbour for the Black-necked Grebe

Sunday 5 January 2020
Rye Harbour

I spent an enjoyable couple of hours at Rye Harbour NNR this afternoon where I targeted the black-necked grebe that has been around for weeks.

  • I made the trek to the west end of Long Pit and did not have to wait long to get excellent views of the grebe as it moved around, diving frequently.  With excellent lighting it showed well in the distance - well over 100 metres away.

  • Smew is a particular favourite of mine so I could not resist another look from Denny's hide - my third in less than a month!  The bird was showing well at the far end of the water.  After a good look, I moved round to the main path by the new Visitor Centre to get a closer view but the bird had disappeared by the time I got there!

At Dungeness I had no luck with the drake smew at Tanners Pool or with bittern, hen harrier or short-eared owl from Denge Marsh hide at the end of the day.



Another enjoyable afternoon birding in the area.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.