Sunday 28 October 2018

28/10/2018 Day Trip to Cornwall for Grey Catbird

Sunday 28 October 2018
Cornwall

Having "dipped" on the American Golden Plover at Oare Marshes on Wednesday and Thursday I decided to head down to Cornwall today to twitch the long-staying Grey Catbird near Lands End.  Up at 04.00 put me on-site just before 10.00 along with 30+ other birders.


  • I had just missed the bird by a few seconds when I arrived so I had to wait another 45 minutes or so to get the good views I craved.  The bird showed well in it's favourite position among the brambles and sallows at the end of the ditch.  This was a lifer for me!
  •  Also seen during the interlude was a Short-eared Owl, a Chough and 20+Fieldfare - not bad as a supporting act. 
  • Before heading home I called in at the nearby Drift Reservoir to twitch the Ring-necked Duck.

A "lifer" and a year tick was not a bad return for a 650 round trip - and I still made it home in time for  dinner just after 6 p.m.






The BBC report for the Grey Catbird sighting is copied below.


Rare bird sighting sees hundreds travel to Land's End

17 October 2018
 

 

  • The first sighting of a grey catbird in Britain was in Anglesey in 2001, according to the British Birds Rarities Committee.

  • News of the grey catbird spread on Twitter, and birdwatchers started arriving, with a local farmer opening a field for parking, taking charity donations in return.
  • "Cornwall is used to seeing its fair share of rare birds, but American birds certainly provide extra excitement," Mr Grantham said.  "To see [the grey catbird] flitting along a Cornish hedge is always going to be extra special."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.