Thursday 25 August 2016

25/08/2016 An afternoon in Essex. Wood Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs

Thursday 25 August 2016
Essex 

I didn't get going till after lunch and, after tossing a coin, I opted for a trip to Essex rather than a trip down into Hampshire.  2 reserves stood out - RSPB Rainham Marshes for the wood sandpiper and RSPB Vange Marshes for the lesser yellowlegs.  The weather was sweltering with temperatures around 30 C.




RSPB Rainham Marshes, Essex
After a traffic jam at the Dartford Crossing I arrived at 3.45 pm, leaving myself with little or no time to get to the far end of the reserve and back before the 5 pm close.  

  • Thankfully the wood sandpiper was showing well and I located it really quickly.  
  • I even had time to admire a hobby that flew high in the sky in front of me.  2 hobbies in 2 days is just superb.









RSPB Vange Marshes, Essex

Less than 25 minutes after leaving RSPB Rainham Marshes I was at RSPB Vange Marshes.  Surprisingly there was nobody around.

  • The first bird to catch my attention was the great white egret at the far end of the water.  It looked majestic among the other water birds.
  • There were at least 3 ruff showing well just 50 metres in front of me.
  • Also in the same area there were spotted redshanks and green sandpipers.
  • Pride of place however went to the lesser yellowlegs, in the same area, going about it's own business and totally oblivious to everything else.  The views in the evening light were quite stunning.
  • On the other side of the water, on my way back to the car, I detoured to take in a glossy ibis, in the field just to the left of a group of greylag geese. 
  • As I was watching the glossy ibis 10 snipe flew overhead.



Additions to BUBO 2016 UK Bird List:
Wood Sandpiper     (232)

Lesser yellowlegs   (233)






A simply glorious and successful visit!








  • The wood sandpiper is a passage migrant in spring and autumn, breeding in northern Europe and wintering in Africa.
  • A few pairs breed in the Scottish Highlands.





  • The lesser yellowlegs is a regular vagrant to western Europe and the odd bird has wintered in GB
  • Their breeding habitat is clearings near ponds in the boreal forest region from Alaska to Quebec.
  • They migrate to the Gulf coast of the United States and south to South America.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.