Wednesday 10 August 2016

09/08/2016 Curlew Sandpipers and Little Stint at Oare Marshes.

Tuesday 10 August 2016
Oare Marshes, Kent

I took the opportunity afforded by the continuing fine weather to visit Oare Marshes on the north Kent coast - one of my favourite reserves.  Target birds were curlew sandpiper and little stint.


  • I didn't have to wait long!  Within minutes I was zooming in on not one, but two curlew sandpipers on the east flood.  In fact they were the closest birds to me so the views were magnificent.  


  • As if by magic, a very accommodating little stint was showing well at the waters edge, barely 10 metres to the right of the sandpipers.


  • With my main job done I could wander freely around the reserve and enjoy the rich array of colours on display.  A stunning male linnet and two little grebes in particular caught my eye.


  • Among the usual suspects I saw plenty of golden plovers, black-tailed godwits, avocets, a couple of greenshanks and at least two yellow wagtails.

Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Year List:
Curlew sandpiper   (231)


A lovely way to spend a couple of hours! 

Had to leave early to get to the first home game at the Amex (4-0 win against Colchester)  so missed the Bonaparte's gull that turned up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.