Monday 2 May 2016

30/04/2016 Pied Flycatchers everwhere.

Saturday  30 April 2016
near Cockermouth, Cumbria

After a brilliant reunion party last night with old school mates, I was ready for the trip home to Sussex -  but not before I had a look for pied flycatchers.  


Thankfully my brother-in law, Kenny, had come to have lunch with my sisters and I and he made the tremendous sacrifice to leave my sister Carol to do the supermarket shopping on her own while he came with me to some woods near Cockermouth in Cumbria.  Even without any bird sightings this beautiful corner of the Lake District is well worth a visit.

However there were birds a plenty and we had the most magnificent time watching 6+ pied flycatchers enjoying the early afternoon sunshine.

Pied Flycatcher
Courtesy of Brian Collis

Pied Flycatcher
Courtesy of Brian Collis


  • We had a tremendous strategic advantage, looking down on the birds from the path through the woods.  A male was showing immediately and more and more appeared as we went through the woods.  A truly spectacular sight, eclipsing the smashing views last year at Ynys-hir in Wales.  A tree creeper, a nuthatch and several chaffinches added to the pleasure. 



Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Year List:
Pied Flycatcher   (198)   


What a finale to my first outing away from home this year!  This site will be high on my list of hotspots from now on.

Thanks Brian, Harvey, Graham and Kenny.


Just need the Albion to win the next 2 games and life could not be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.