Thursday 26 May 2016

26/05/2016 Laughing Gull at Dungeness and Nightjars at Hindleap

Thursday 26 May 2016



Dungeness

  • I was unable to get to Hastings yesterday after Paul rang to say a laughing gull had arrived there. Even today I could only get to Dungeness (where the bird had moved to) at 4 p.m.  To make matters worse, news came through that it had left the "patch" and flown onto the roof of the power station before disappearing.



  • Thankfully by the time I arrived at the hide by the patch the gull had reappeared and was only 40 metres or so away in the grounds of the power station.  The views were excellent as it sat on the ground to the left of a group of herrring gulls, enjoying the sunshine.



Hindleap, Ashdown Forest

  • After a brief stop off at home to grab a bite to eat I was out again looking for nightjars - this time at Hindleap.  Just on 9 p.m. I had my first of 4 sightings of roding woodcock above the treeline and 20 minutes later the churring of the nightjar started.



  • Like last year there is a territory on top of the hill just east of the car park.   Here I saw and heard a pair and I saw, at first hand, the wing clapping routine.



  • When I moved down the hill to Brian and June's seat I heard further churring by a second male and I watched it as it flew around it's territory.  



Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Year List:
Laughing Gull   (217)



It is looking good for nightjars again with confirmed sightings at the Old Airstrip and now also at Hindleap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.