Monday 23 May 2016

23/05/2016 You win some and you lose some! Dorset and Hampshire Twitch.

Monday 23 May 2016



Portland Bill, Dorset

  • Tried to twitch the great spotted cuckoo at Portland today but failed miserably.  The bird had moved from the observatory some time ago and it is now most likely to be found at its favourite feeding ground in Reap Lane.  

  • Along with 20 other birders, I spent several hours looking for it in this area and, despite several dubious "reported" sightings, none of us managed to see it.



Pennington Marshes, Hampshire

  • On my way home I called off at Pennington Marshes to twitch the stilt sandpiper.  This time I was more fortunate and managed a couple of good, but short lived, views of the bird as it moved around Fishtail Lagoon.




  • I felt somewhat disappointed with the returns today.  



  • This is the second time in the last 3 years that I have missed the cuckoo after travelling a long way and searching for a long time.



  • On the bright side, the stilt sandpiper was a first for me.



Addition to BUBO 2016 Year List:
Stilt sandpiper   (216)

Addition to BUBO UK Life List:
Stilt sandpiper   (313)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.