Saturday 21 May 2016

20/05/2016 Nightjar in Ashdown Forest

Friday 20 May 2016
Old Airstrip, Ashdown Forest

Went to the Ashdown Forest looking for nightjars at 8.40 pm.  


  • My attention was grabbed by the sound of a cuckoo close by.  I soon located it in the dead trees on the south side of the airstrip at the car park end.  For the next 10 minutes or so I was able to enjoy superb close views before it eventually flew away in a northerly direction.



  • At 9.00 pm I saw a "roding" woodcock from the same vantage point.



  • At the far end of the airstrip (TQ424303) I heard the churring of the nightjar, my first encounter of the year in the Ashdown Forest.  By now the clouds had blocked the view of the moon and the lighting was so poor I was unable to see the bird and, with no further churring,  I left after half an hour.




The nightjars are back at this patch - my summer evenings are booked already!


Addition to BUBO 2016 UK Year List:
Nightjar   (214)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.