Saturday 6 November 2021

Out and About Locally

Thursday 4th November 2021

Amberley Wild Brooks, Sussex


A sure sign that I'm getting old today.  I managed to get all the way to Greatham Bridge for a walk to Amberley before I realised I had come out without my scope and my binoculars!  In my haste to get going I packed my wellies, waterproofs, snacks etc but overlooked my birding equipment.  


Undaunted by this, I took the long route, walking through the Wild Brooks to Amberley and returning via Rackham Woods - a most enjoyable late morning walk.


  



  •  I saw several Red Kites, a couple of Buzzards as well as Stonechats, a Kestrel and a lovely Jay.
  • No sign of the White-tailed Eagle that has been seen regularly here this year.  One for another day methinks.


 I made the most of my situation and enjoyed this walk.  Several places on the way were familiar but the route was completely new to me. 



Friday 5th November 2021

Isfield to Anchor Lane and Surrounding Area, Sussex


 Another late morning walk, this time right on my doorstep at Isfield, a mere 8 minute drive away.  This time I had my scope and bins!







  • I was delighted to see the Little Owl in its usual tree.  It was enjoying the sunshine but soon sensed my presence and disappeared but not before I got good scope views.  There were still many leaves on the oak tree so I will return later this winter when they will not be a problem.
  • Other large birds seen were Kestrel, Raven and Buzzard.
  • There were 20+ Red-legged Partridges in the cropped fields.
  • the other species of note was Stock Dove.

Another lovely walk with the Little Owl sighting elevating this one to rather special!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.