Friday 11 May 2018

10/05/2018 Lincolnshire, Suffolk and Norfolk


Thursday 10th May 2018 Lincolnshire Tour
Day 6/6
Cumbrian Friends Annual Outing


It was time to go our separate ways today; thankfully the lads wanted to revisit Frampton Marsh so I was able to spend at least a couple of hours with them before heading off to my tour with Marcus. Unfortunately there were fewer species than previously and to make matters worse the Black-winged Stilt -  our target species - did not show!

What an ending! 

Great trip lads - thanks!
Proud to be part of the team.
Looking forward to 2019 in Scotland Harvey!



Cavenham Heath, Suffolk

Next stop for me was Cavenham Heath, in Suffolk, where I hoped to get a view of the Stone Curlew.  I had read about the remarkable sightings there and so I was very keen to get some of the action.
  • It took an awful long time to work out where they were but finally a pair showed just 50 metres away from me! They were behind the scrub -  hence the difficulty.  Another birder (ironically from Lincolnshire) and I enjoyed some splendid views of the pair, albeit restricted by the vegetation.

  • Woodlarks were prominent and I enjoyed some of the best views ever as I laboured with my Stone Curlew searches.




Titchwell, Norfolk
  • It was such a lovely evening that I decided to call in at Titchwell before heading for my digs at Wells-next-the Sea.  What a good decision that was!
  • By now the wind had dropped and it was a sublime atmosphere.  
  • I simply walked out to the beach picking up new birds for my day list and just loving the place. 
  • There were barely a dozen birders on site and, by the time I left, this had reduced to only 3 or 4. 
Titchwell to myself - what a thought!  



The most poignant moment was on the beach, watching the birds by the tide line.
There were:-
  • Grey Plovers in summer plumage - awesome ! 

  • Turnstones in summer plumage - awesome! 

  • Sanderling running around, as usual.
  • Lesser Black backed Gulls resting.
  • and  .... the usual suspects adding to the beautiful scenario.

It was hard to leave but I had to get to my digs and thankfully landlord, Roddy, was so understanding about my late arrival.

A superb day!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.