Saturday 13 June 2015

13/06/2015 Black-eared Wheatear at Acres Down in the New Forest

Saturday 13th June 2015
Acres Down, Hampshire

I spent the latter part of the morning looking for Honey Buzzards at the back of Old Lodge in the Ashdown Forest.  Needless to say I was having no success.  A text from Paul reminded me of the Black-eared Wheatear that had been sighted at Acres Down and prompted me to pack up, go home for lunch and then head off to Hampshire.  This bird would be a "lifer" for me if I was successful.

  • The target bird was present and showing really well on one of the logs in the field in front of us.  This despite the message on RBA saying it was elusive!   The bird, a male, was absolutely stunning in its black and white plumage.  To the delight of all the birders watching from the woods it remained in place for what seemed an eternity, allowing everyone the chance to observe the ID features and/or take photographs.


Eastern Black-eared Wheatear
Library picture



This bird has a range from Southern Italy eastwards into Turkey and the Middle East.



  • I even had time to continue looking for Honey Buzzards from the raptor viewing point here at Acres Down.  Again I had no luck but by way of compensation I did see a stunning Goshawk flying high over the trees some distance in front of us.

  • There were several Woodlarks around - of course!

  • I couldn't resist the chance to look for a Wood Warbler before I left so I retreated to the car park area and into the woods to the north.  Having taken advice I quickly found the stream and within minutes I heard the Wood Warbler calling and soon I got a clear sighting in the tree some 15 feet above me.  A lovely bird and a year tick to boot.
Wood Warbler
Library picture





Additions to BUBO 2015 UK Bird List:
Eastern Black-eared Wheatear   (225)
Wood Warbler   (226) 

Additions to BUBO UK Life List:
Eastern Black-eared Wheatear   (292)






You can never tell how the day will turn out in this birding life.  A "lifer" and a year tick in Hampshire after drawing blanks in the Ashdown Forest earlier in the day




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.