Saturday 13 June 2015

12/06/2015 Staying Local in Ashdown Forest

Friday 12th June 2015
Ashdown Forest

  • Tried looking once more for Honey Buzzards on the high ground overlooking my patch.  As previously, I drew a blank, managing only to see Common Buzzards.  I  relocated to Lintons, near the Forest Centre but was again unsuccessful.  One day soon I will find one and boy will I enjoy the moment!

  • On my patch, while looking for Buzzards, I was accompanied, for the fourth day this week, by a lovely male Yellowhammer.  Almost certainly there is a nest nearby.  Herring Gulls dominated the skyline with Corvids, Woodpigeons and Common Buzzards playing a supporting role.

Yellowhammer
Library picture



Nightjars continue to thrive in the forest. I have now seen them at 4 different locations. 
  • Tonight, with the SOS at the Old Airstrip for example, we saw two and heard a third churring in the distance towards the Wych Cross intersection.  The views were excellent with one in particular of the bird perched on the top of a bare tree, singing it's heart out. 


Nightjar
Library picture

  • Also seen tonight were Stonechats, a Linnet and Redpolls.

  • A notable absentee was the Woodcock, although we had one here earlier in the week.  It's not very often you see more Nightjars than Woodcock but that is likely to be the case here. 

  • Anyone wanting to see Woodcock and Nightjar should go to Hindleap where 10 Woodcock were seen earlier in the week - but only one Nightjar, albeit offering magnificent views. 
Nightjar
Library picture



Not much to show for my efforts this week but I have really enjoyed myself. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.