Wednesday 10 June 2015

09/06/2015 Hudsonian Whimbrel at Church Norton, West Sussex.

Tuesday 9th June 2015
Church Norton, Pagham Harbour nr Chichester

Out of the blue, mid afternoon, came news of a probable Hudsonian Whimbrel in Sussex at Church Norton.  Soon afterwards this was upgraded to a definite sighting and I was on my way.  After all, this was the first ever sighting in Sussex  of this American version of our Whimbrel!

From what little I had read about this species I knew I would need to see it flying to check it's rump and tail.  It should be completely brown whereas the European Whimbrel would have a large expanse of white on the lower back.


Incredibly, just as I got there, the bird was flying across the water away from us and I could see clearly that it was completely brown!  Worries over - I had my first ever Hudsonsian Whimbrel!



Hudsonian Whimbrel
Library picture
                                        
European Whimbrel
Library picture
 

It landed on the other side of the estuary along with some gulls, Oystercatchers and, fortunately, 2 European Whimbrels which was convenient for making comparisons between the two species. 

The other major difference between the Whimbrels was the striking head pattern of the Hudsonian. The head is paler than the Eurasian Whimbrel with stronger contrast between the almost white  supercillium and the very dark head and eye stripes.
Hudsonian Whimbrel
Library picture
What a find!




Addition to BUBO UK 2015 Bird List:
Hudsonian Whimbrel   (224)

Addition to BUBO UK Life List of UK Birds:
Hudsonian Whimbrel   (291)  only 9 more new species to find!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.