Sunday 3 May 2015

25/04/2015 Hudsonian Godwit!!!!!!

Saturday 25th April 2015
Meare Heath NNR, Somerset
BA6 9SX


On my way up to join Cumbrian friends for a North Wales birding trip, I intended to call in and see the Pied-billed Grebe that had been seen at Berkeley in Gloucestershire.  When I checked RBA before setting off the reports were negative.  However news was just breaking about a Hudsonian Godwit at Meare Heath NNR in Somerset so I changed my plans and headed off to BA6 9SX. 

  • By the time I got there there were hundreds of birders on site and reports since put the number at over 1000 for the first day.


Library picture

  • The bird was in among a large group of Black-tailed Godwits.   I could not stay long as I had already detoured nearly 100 miles and was running very late.  Having made the ID I  headed up the M5 en route to Abersoch in North Wales arriving about 8 p.m. 



Hudsonian Godwit
Library picture



Hudsonian Godwit
Library picture

  • This was only the third ever sighting of this species in the UK.  It usually spends the winter in South America and then heads north to its breeding grounds in Canada and Alaska. All of which makes this a really rare bird in the UK. Needless to say it was a "lifer" for me.


Addition to BUBO UK Life List of Birds:
Hudsonian Godwit   (289)

Addition to BUBO 2015 UK Year List of Birds:
Hudsonian Godwit    (201)
 
 
 
What a start to my holiday!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.