Monday 4 May 2015

01/05/2015 A second look at the Hudsonian Godwit and a dozen Hobbies

Friday 1st May 2015
Meare Heath NNR on the Somerset Levels

I decided to return to Meare Heath NNR on my way home from North wales to get a second look at the Hudsonian Godwit.  My first visit was so hurried and there were so many birders around that I felt the need to get a more relaxed view of this rare bird.

  • From the car park, before walking the 400 metres to the star item, there were at least 12 Hobbies flying close by - an amazing sight.  I have never seen so many of them in the air at the same time.  Unbelievably, a birder I talked to said there had been 20 earlier in the day.
Hobbies flying
Library picture

  • When I arrived at the viewing point for the Hudsonian Godwit, thankfully, there were far fewer birders around than last time.  Unfortunately the godwit had flown to a place below the bank and I had to wait some time for it to appear among the Black-tailed Godwits.  Now I could study the bird in more detail.
Hudsonian Godwit
Library picture

  • Unfortunately I did not have enough time to wait around to catch in flying as the wonderful image below shows


Hudsonian Godwit flying
Library picture

 
What a lovely way to start and end a birding holiday!
 
 
 
Addition to BUBO 2015 UK Bird List:
Hobby   (214)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.