Saturday 16 April 2022

Staying Local - looking for migrant birds


Tuesday 12th April

  • I saw my first whitethroat of the year at Weirwood this morning.


Friday 15th April 2022

John, Martin and I spent a delightful morning at Old Lodge where we managed to see all the bird species that we had on our wish list.

  • 2 redstarts were the highlight.  They were in a tree just 10 metres away and showing well in the morning sunshine.
courtesy of Martin Jeffree

  • We heard lots of willow warblers as we walked round the reserve and we caught sight of a couple.
  • Surprisingly I saw my first swallow of 2022 in this most unlikely habitat.
  • We heard the cuckoo and after a while we got to see it perched at the top of a tall tree.  A second one was calling from afar as we were admiring the first one.
courtesy of Martin Jeffree

  • We managed to find at least 2 tree pipits at different places on the reserve.   Both were singing well from the top of the high trees.  The first one also delighted us with its characteristic display flight.
courtesy of Martin Jeffree

  • There were at least 5 Dartford warblers showing well.

A productive morning spent with friends - lots of newly arrived birds and some excellent weather.



Sunday 17th April 2022
  • I heard, then saw, my first nightingale of the year as I was walking my dog, Odin, just south of Uckfield.

Year total - 173

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.