Thursday 28 April 2022

Red-rumped Swallow in Uckfield!

Wednesday 27th April 2022

Uckfield South


  • What a bit of luck - a red-rumped swallow turned up here in Uckfield in the area south of Victoria Park where I often take Odin on one of my long dog walks. 

  • It was with a large mixed flock of house martins and barn swallows that were indulging themselves at the water treatment works.  Word has it that the chemical they normally use to control the flies etc is in short supply at the moment, enabling the flies to flourish and attracting the birds of course.

In all I made 3 trips to the site:- 
  • on the first trip I found it incredibly difficult to pick out the bird from the other swallows but eventually, with the help of Paul and Edward, I was able to do so.  Before leaving, I was able to get 3 good views, including a cracking one as the bird flew low over our heads.  
courtesy of Alison Playle


  • mid afternoon saw me back there again for a second look and this time I was having more success.  Alison had left work to make the twitch and between us we were able to ensure she got some decent photographs - not easy when you switch your binoculars for the camera because the bird has gone by in an instant.  
courtesy of Alison Playle


  • early evening and I was back again, this time with Bob and Judy from the Weir Wood group.  The red-rumped swallow was doing exactly the same routine so I was able to leave them there while I took Odin for his walk.  When I got back Alison had returned too - now thankfully outside of working hours - and we enjoyed some more excellent views.
courtesy of Alison Playle



Time to celebrate - my first lifer of 2022 and on my own patch!

Year total - 180
UK life list total = 363

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.