Wednesday 18 January 2017

16/01/17 You win some - you lose some!

Monday 16 January 2017

You win some.
Last Thursday, on my way to see the Purple Sandpipers at Newhaven Tidemills I saw what I was 95% sure was the Serin that had been seen here before Xmas.  As it was not listed as currently present I decided it was probably a mis-ID on my part and moved on.  

I intended to mention it to Paul on the following Saturday but, with an itinerary that involved several changes of venue plus the fact that my mind was on the immediate journey up to Norfolk, it never happened.  

Incredibly, it was Paul himself who spotted the bird on the following Monday!

On reflection, it was the Serin I saw.  What is worrying is that 95% sure was not enough for me to go public.  Why?



You lose some
Paul emailed me with the news that the DNA tests on the Stejneger's Stonechat at Dungeness proved negative - it was not the Siberian species after all.  It was a discoloured Stonechat as postulated by Ploddingbirder many weeks ago.





No change to my 2017 list total!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.