Friday 29 August 2014

29/08/14 Dungeness again to "twitch" the Melodious Warbler

Friday 29th August 2014
Dungeness, Dengemarsh Gully

I decided to return to Dungeness to address some unfinished business from my last visit on Wednesday.  Apparently, despite our successes, there was also a Melodious Warbler showing well at Dengemarsh Gully barely a stone's throw from where we saw the Wryneck. 

This is a rare bird for us in Sussex and Kent; it should be in SW Europe getting ready for the autumn migration to Africa.

PJ couldn't make it so I made the return journey on my own.  Conditions were very windy when I arrived around mid-day.  The bird had been seen several times already during the morning.  After 30 minutes or so I got fleeting views of it flying from bush to bush but I had to wait a further 30 minutes before getting the excellent view I craved as the bird sheltered from the wind low down in the bushes some 15 metres in front of me.



Melodious Warbler
Library picture
This Melodious Warbler was a "lifer" for me - the second in 2 days. 
                                     Astonishing!


Prior to all this I had a good view of the Wryneck that was also present - a different one to that on Wednesday.


Addition to 2014 UK Bird List:
Melodious Warbler   (259)

Addition to UK Bird Life List:
Melodious Warbler   (273)











 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.