Saturday 23 August 2014

21 and 22/08/2014 Patch Update

Thursday 21/08/14 and Friday 22/08/14
Churlwood


With all the comings and goings of the last few weeks I decided it was high time to catch up on the situation on my patch in the Ashdown Forest.  On Thursday I spent a couple of hours centred on the Churlwood CP end while on Friday I focused on the Twyford CP end and targeted the Hillsdown Farm area in particular.

The highlights on Thursday included a Hobby, several Green Woodpeckers, Redstarts and a couple of Stonechats as well as a lovely Coal Tit and a Jay.

Friday was dominated by the Hobbies seen flying together over the tree tops in the valley below us.  They made spectacular viewing in the lunchtime sun as they moved effortlessly about their business.  There was at least one juvenile among the three that I saw - it had a brownish colouring rather than the grey of the adult bird. This was my second sighting in two days but by far the most rewarding.  It's amazing to think that this was my first success here this year - more a reflection of my absence than any shortage of birds. 


We were less lucky with Honey Buzzards as the six or so birds we saw were all Common Buzzards. 


Species List:
Bullfinch
Nuthatch
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Wren
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Song Thrush
Goldcrest
Robin   (10)
Hobby
Stock Dove
Kestrel
Woodpigeon
Buzzard
Redstart
Stonechat
Green Woodpecker
Carrion Crow
Magpie   (20)
Jay
Robin


                             Nice to be back on my patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.