Wednesday 25 June 2014

25/06/2104 Nightjars but no Honey Buzzards

Wednesday 25th June 2014
Ashdown Forest

Honey Buzzards
Started at 11.30 on my patch in the Hillsdown Farm area looking for Honey Buzzards.  Unfortunately I was unsuccessful despite a stay of nearly 3 hours.  I saw at least 6 Buzzards but alas all of them were Common Buzzards.  Never mind!  I learnt a lot and still managed to see several Corvids and Hirundines, a Great-spotted Woodpecker and several Chiffchaffs.  The weather was excellent with clear views and superb scenery.

Nightjars
From 21.30 to 22.15 my luck changed and I saw Nightjars at all 3 sites I managed to visit. 

At Hindleap there are at least 2 territories and I had super views of a Nightjar at each of them.  In both cases the male Nightjar flew within 20 metres of me -an amazing experience.  Churring was evident from 21.40 and was my main starting point in locating the birds.  The only Woodcock of the night flew overhead at 22.00.  To be fair I arrived too late to see the main Woodcock activity. 

At Churlwood at 22.15 I also saw a Nightjar at close quarters and the views were good on this clear night.








A lovely day with contrasting fortunes!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.