Thursday 5 June 2014

01/06/2014 and 03/06/2014 Nightjars and Woodcock.

Sunday 1st June and Tuesday 3rd June 2014
Nightjars at Hindleap
After dusk




On 1st June, almost two weeks later than I would have liked, I finally found time to make a flying visit to the Ashdown Forest to look for my beloved Nightjars.


Thankfully they have returned again this year with a pair showing well from "Brian and Jane's" wooden seat about half a mile down the hill from the car park at Hindleap.   There were also a couple of "roding" Woodcocks in the sky above the trees.   



Nightjar
Library picture


I stayed for 15 minutes before heading up the hill to look at another Nightjar territory, in the same area as last year, adjacent to the car park.  I couldn't stay too long as I wanted to check out my own patch at Churlwood to see if any had returned there as well.   


At Churlwood there was indeed yet another, my fourth Nightjar of the night.  A hectic visit but a very productive one. 


Nightjar
Library picture

 

 

 
 
I can now look forward to a summer enriched by watching these splendid birds.






The following Tuesday I returned to Churlwood to see the Nightjar again in almost the same position.  Whislt I was waiting, I was entertained by several Tree Pipits, one of which sang continuously from the top of a low bush.  Marvellous!














Addition to 2014 UK Bird List
Nightjar   (236)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.