Wednesday 18 June 2014

16/06/2014 Short-toed Eagle - in Ashdown Forest!

Monday 16th June 2014
Ashdown Forest
Old Airstrip

In my rush to help Sara move house yesterday I forgot to take my iPhone with me with almost disastrous consequences.  Paul and Andrew tried to email me, text me and left voicemails to alert me to the exciting news of a first ever sighting of the Short-toed Eagle in Sussex and only the third ever sighting in the UK.  Thankfully, a day later, it was still there and showing well at TQ425 301.  Sue and I joined friends and over a hundred birders for this splendid event.

The Old Airstrip, where the bird was seen most often, is adjacent to my patch in the Ashdown Forest strangely enough.  We got particularly good views of the Eagle hunting close by and then spectacular flight scenes as it rose up above the trees.  After an hour we had to leave in order to get down to Sara and Jen's to continue with the house removal.  Hopefully it will stay around a while and we can get more views as it is such a rarity.

Short-toed Snake-eagle (Circaetus gallicus)
Short-toed Eagle
Library picture




Addition to Life List of UK Birds:
Short-toed Eagle  (262)



Addition to 2014 UK Bird List:
Short-toed Eagle  (237)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.