Monday 4 January 2021

04/01/2020 Cuckmere Haven

Monday 4 January 2021

Cuckmere Haven


The weather was the winner today!  It was raining all day, nothing too heavy but enough to think twice before venturing out.  I waited till mid afternoon before deciding to go down to the Cuckmere and look for rare gulls.

  • There were non to be seen I'm afraid.  The gull roost was down to less than 50 birds and most of them were either Great Black-backed Gulls or Black-headed Gulls. 
  • There were several Curlews and Little Egrets around.
  • In the channels I saw my first Redshanks of the year.  
  • On the way down, I saw a raft of about 50 close Wigeon on the sea just east of the cottages.  There were also at least 5 distant Gannets on the sea.
  • I got a pleasant surprise when a Goosander showed in the channel just down from the cottages.  Reports had mentioned one being present but I thought it had subsequently departed.  Obviously not!



A pleasant, if somewhat wet visit, which provided me with much needed exercise and several sightings to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.