Monday 4 January 2021

03/01/2021 Pevensey Levels

 Sunday 3 January 2021

Pevensey Levels


Went walking on Pevensey Levels this afternoon, following a westerly loop from New Bridge Farm and moving around to Horse Eye Level.  The weather was cold and overcast but it was dry.  Conditions underfoot were not easy with lots of mud!

  •  I soon located my first Great White Egret of the day and indeed of the year.
  • Quite soon afterwards I spotted my first Grey Heron of 2021, quickly followed by a Marsh Harrier sighting.
  •  White-fronted Geese had been reported here in good numbers yesterday.  I saw at least 5 amongst the Greylag Geese.  I met up with a couple of local walkers who told me the main flock were likely to be by the ponds  a little further south and west.  I was happy to see my little group of geese so plodded on along the muddy circuit.
  • Pride of place today went to the ringtail Hen Harrier I saw about 30 minutes into my walk.  It was flying over the reed beds and looked majestic in the fading light.  It's a pity I didn't get here sooner, perhaps to catch the male. 
  • Near the end of my circuit I came across my first Reed Buntings of the year - the males looking particularly well in the prevailing light.


This was the first time I had walked this route and despite the hazardous muddy paths I really enjoyed the experience.  10,000+ steps and 6 more bird species for my year list - can't be bad!

Perhaps I will repeat the exercise again soon, this time starting from Marshfoot Lane in Hailsham.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.