Friday 14 August 2020

14/08/2020 Glossy Ibis at Dungeness

Friday 14 August 2020

Dungeness, Kent

It was high time that I took a look at the glossy ibis that has been on the ARC Pit at Dungeness since last Sunday evening.  My chance came this afternoon after Sue and I got back from the vets.  The weather was looking unsettled as I drove down to the Kent coast but thankfully it was dry and calm when I arrived at 4.30 pm.


  • The glossy ibis was showing well at the place where it had been seen regularly all week.  The only problem was the screen hide was closed and the only possible viewing area was a little further towards the cooling tower and then only after peering over the raised bank - something we should not really be doing.


I didn't stay long as I would have disturbed the birds and also because the car park was due to close at 5 pm!



courtesy of mike link and twitter



  • I moved the car down to Dengemarsh Road and then walked onto the RSPB reserve hoping to see a bittern or a bearded tit from the raised viewing point.  Sadly I saw neither but I was compensated by the sight of a marsh harrier in flight and a close reed warbler as I followed my route.



Yet another successful late afternoon foray! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.