Friday 14 August 2020

13/08/2020 Wood Sandpipers at RSPB Pagham

Thursday 13th August 2020

RSPB Pagham


There was a glut of wood sandpiper sightings in my area today and I was spoiled for choice as to where to go to see them.  With heavy showers forecast after the really hot weather of late, I opted to make the long journey down to Pagham Harbour near Chichester where 2 were reported on the Ferry Pool.  I could get closer views of the birds there and if the weather did turn nasty I was only 2 minutes away from the car. As it turned out all the wet weather came during my journey down and it had gone through by the time I arrived at the Ferry Hide just before 4pm. 

  • Exactly as reported, there were 2 wood sandpipers showing well at the far end of the pool.  I watched them for a good length of time, including a lovely period where they were having fun chasing each other around before they flew across the pool from right to left and settled again.
courtesy of Andy Wilkes and Twitter
courtesy of Andy Wilkes and Twitter


  • I also got a bonus bird - a kingfisher - as I scanned down the channel from the pumping station.  The bird was flying in towards me and landed on a pole just a few metres away.  It didn't stay long as it was disturbed by a couple of approaching walkers on their way west towards Church Norton.

A most enjoyable experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.